What a butterfly looks like
Butterflies or lepidoptera are a detachment of insects that pass the full path of transformation. The most characteristic distinguishing feature in which butterflies are distinguished from other insects is the large bright wings, butterflies have 2 pairs of them. Consider what are the features of these amazing insects.
What do butterflies look like
The body of the butterfly consists of the head, chest and abdomen. The head of insects is round, on it are faceted eyes, antennae and mouth apparatus, resembling a proboscis. One can learn about how and what butterflies eat from our article - What do butterflies eat?
Despite the fact that butterflies have a rather typical morphological structure of the body, some sub-species of butterflies are very different in size and color of the wings.
Distinctive features in the appearance of butterflies
Consider the look of butterflies, the most common in the middle lane:
- Common urticaria is a daytime species of insect. The length of the front pair of wings 23-25 mm. The edges of the wings are serrated, there is no sexual dimorphism (females look the same as males).On the upper side, the wings are red or brick, they have black specks, separated by yellowish gaps. In the upper part of the front wing there is a whitish spot. The outer edges are covered with spots of a bluish tint, shaped like a crescent;
- Makhaon is a diurnal butterfly, the wingspan of females is up to 95 mm, and males are from 63 to 81 mm. The wings are painted in bright yellow, bordered with black spots in the form of a pattern. There are outgrowths on the hind wings, which are called “tails,” they also have brown spots on their eyes, surrounded by a bluish bloom;
- Kapustnitsa is a daytime small insect, the main color of wings is white or milky. The size of the wings of females and males is about the same - from 49 to 63 mm. The wings are even, on the upper edge of the front ones there are black borders, on the rear ones there are black dots on the upper edge. Females also have black paired dots in the center of the front wings;
- The peacock eye is a medium-sized butterfly, the upper edge of the wings has a basic red color. They have 4 bluish-white spots ("eye"). The lower edge of the wings is brownish black. Females are larger than males, wingspan up to 62 mm;
- Danaid monarch is a rather large insect, its wingspan is up to 10.2 cm. A distinctive feature is a network of black stripes on an orange background of wings, on the edge there are small whitish specks;
- The lemongrass (cruscherelle) - small (up to 31 mm wingspan) butterflies. They look similar to cabbages, only the color is bright lemon. The females are white-green; in the center of the wings there are orange or red dots;
- The hawk moths are a family of nocturnal lepidoptera of various sizes (wingspan is from 35 to 170 mm). The wings, both front and rear - oblong, most often brown or gray.