Journey to Kamchatka. Part 3. Mount Camel
In the first hike, we went to Mount Camel, located between the volcanoes Avachinsky and Koryak. Theoretically, it should have opened a great view of the volcanoes, but we did not recognize it - the weather did not have. At the same time, it was a good experience of what the weather might be in Kamchatka in August - at the top of the route it was fiercely cold, a strong wind was blowing, and practically wet snow was falling from the sky.
1. Right from the hotel, we were picked up by the first bus, a truck converted for transporting people. This is the main transport for tourists. In total, there are only two hundred kilometers of asphalt roads in Kamchatka (according to our driver), so prepared transport is necessary.
2. The entrance to the mountain goes along the dried riverbed, which is called “Dry River”.
3. The height of the mountain is 1200 meters above sea level, but from the tourist base, to which the bus station reaches, you need to climb only two hundred meters.
four.Climbing the mountain camel reminded me like a rainy day in Iceland, when we almost equally climbed the Lucky volcano, the pictures are straightforward one-on-one (https://misha-my.livejournal.com/106844.html). Just like in Iceland, the weather was ruined just one day from the entire trip.
5. Before leaving, we were given a simple ration with nuts, an apple and juice. Upon returning we were waiting for sandwiches and hot tea.
6. Like the day before in the city, all the time there was a nasty rain. Photographing was quite painful, after several frames the lens was flooded with water and had to be cleaned.
7. This last year’s snow did not melt, and a new volcano had already started to fall on the Avachinsky volcano!
8. The most picturesque plot of the campaign:
12. The Victory Banner is set at the highest point:
13. On my face of suffering, as if I ascended to Everest. It was possible to have a snack by rations only completely hiding behind a stone from the wind.
15. Downward descend mainly by loose;
16. Waterfall in the snow:
17. A colony of evrazhek, Kamchatka gophers lives near the tourist center. Usually they are quite friendly and approach tourists to beg for food, but that day they could not get close to them, perhaps because of the weather.It is not recommended to give evravka bread - they drag it into their bins, it spoils there and makes all stocks unsuitable. Better to give nuts.
18. Each shift guard is different. Also on the roads are many converted and modified off-road vehicles for small groups of tourists.
19. Suddenly, in the evening, the sky began to clear up and beautiful views began to open outside the window.
20. The next few nights we spent at the Helios hostel. There was no great need to go to the camp site on the very first day, since the next morning we were returning to the port in the city center, it was better to stay in Avacha. Apparently, this is made from savings.
21. The rooms on the first floor are very small, do not turn around. The towels are not very fresh and everything is pretty shabby. When we guessed to ask us to transfer more spacious rooms on the second floor, it became better to live.
22. On the territory of two pools with thermal water. Water is pumped from a hose that is simply transferred from the pool to the pool. The temperature is not regulated in the same way. If you leave the hose in one pool for too long, it can become very hot.
23. We had dinner at the base on the first day,on other days we stayed in the city until the evening. Taxi to the tourist center from the center of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky cost about a thousand rubles.
To be continued...
Mirror of the magazine on Facebook and Instagram:
Journey to Kamchatka. Part 1. Organizational
Journey to Kamchatka. Part 2.