How to fix siding?
Watch the video
Siding is a popular finishing material that is used for exterior cladding of buildings. This building material not only improves the appearance of the house, but also performs a protective function against environmental influences. In the article we will talk about how to properly fasten siding.
Types of siding
Siding can be vinyl, wood, cement, basement and metal.
- The most common in the construction of vinyl siding. This is due to the fact that it is easy to use, has a beautiful appearance and is widely represented on the market;
- The most environmentally friendly material is wood siding. But its service life is much less, and construction costs are more;
- Expensive decorative decorative stone can be replaced with cement siding. It is a durable and reliable material for lining, easy to restore and does not rot;
- PVC or cement panels are used for plating. The basement siding is thick enough, as it will be located close to the ground;
- Metal siding is used much less frequently than others. This is due to the fact that this type of siding is easily deformed during operation, and also subject to corrosion.
How to independently sheathe a house with siding
If you do not want to involve installers in the construction work, you will be able to cope with the task on your own. The main thing before starting work is to familiarize yourself with the instructions and adhere to the recommendations during construction.
What is required
- dismantling hook;
- a hammer;
- a piece of chalk;
- construction levels (long, water);
- screwdriver, screwdriver;
- dowels, nails;
- Remove the protruding elements on the facade.
- Fill the empty space between the windows and doors with a solution of cement.
- Check walls for old paint, plaster and mold. Dispose of dirt if necessary.
Panels can be installed on the walls of any materials. When installing the main condition - smooth walls. Inspect the wall from different angles and see if it needs additional installation of the leveling batten.
Crate can be wooden and metal. It should be fixed perpendicular to the cladding panels. The advantage of the frame installation is thatdue to the formation of free space between the facade and the panel, in winter the room retains heat, and in summer it does not overheat.
- Along the perimeter of the house, draw a closed contour of the batten with a tape measure and level.
- The installation of the batten begins from the corners of the house with the help of fasteners. It is important to firmly fix the guides, as the lathing is the basis for siding fasteners.
Warming and waterproofing
When covering the house be sure to install waterproofing to protect the house from moisture. A layer of insulation is placed at your discretion.
- Insulation, for example, glass wool or polyethylene foam, place the batten under the frame.
- Over waterproofing install a waterproofing film. It is important that there be a gap between the waterproofing and the crate. This is necessary for ventilation.
Fastening guide elements
- Install special designs for drainage.
- Fasten the batten guides around the perimeter of the window and door.
- Install the last crate guide under the roof or in the place where you plan to finish the house siding.
- Set the start panel to the first rail until it clicks.
- Secure the top of the panel with self-tapping screws every 40 centimeters.
- Continue installing the panels in the same way, moving towards a window or roof. Do not overstretch the panels. Screw the screws in the middle of the holes.
- Finish the installation of the panels with the finishing strip.
- Close the joints with special corners.
- Make a rough installation diagram before starting construction.
- Works on installing siding can be done at any time of the year. But note that at low temperatures (below 10 degrees) the probability is highdeformation of siding, so for cutting it is better to use a grinder. Also when installing in cold weather, the gap between the panels must be doubled.
- To create wooden crates use dried wood, treat with antiseptic.
- Choose galvanized screws or nails, because the life of the siding is about 50 years, and fasteners can fail before.
- Nails and screws must be included in the crate not less than 35 mm.
- Hammer in the nails smoothly, as when mounting the fastener, waves may form in the future.
- When installing the panels, make sure the siding locks are fully connected. When skewing the previous panel is better to rearrange.