Green coating in an aquarium: 4 reasons and 10 ways and tips on how to get rid of it
The aquarium in our apartment or office is a small corner of wildlife, the underwater world. He always pleases the eye of the owner and attracts the views of the guests.
Natural purity creates the illusion of short-term immersion in the realm of Neptune. How to make this feeling not disappear? How to avoid water bloom and green bloom?
The most frequent problems with the maintenance of the aquarium
Every lover of the underwater world in the room sooner or later had to face the problems of cleanliness of the aquarium.
The most frequent problems.
- Turbidity of water. Water loses its transparency and becomes whitish. Most often this happens in a new, just populated fish tank. This phenomenon is temporary. The development of a mass of bacteria makes the water opaque. This lasts two or three days.With proper feeding of fish and optimal temperature conditions, the next stage in the formation of the underwater world begins - the biological balance between single-celled organisms and more highly organized ones. Infusional dregs disappears.
- Ground rot. After a while, the soil can be tightened with a dark film and periodically release bubbles. Organic matter remains rotting, which got into the ground initially either with the process of feeding the fish. To prevent this, it is better not to feed the pet than to overfeed it. An additional means of combating organic matter in the soil are snails.
- Change the water color to green or brown. This is due to the development of algae in the water: green, blue-green or brown.
- Scaling on the walls. The raid is also green or brown.
These two problems are interrelated, often have common causes, the means of eliminating them are the same. The raid on the walls - the biggest nuisance in the life of the aquarium.
Green bloom on the walls: how to get rid of?
Brown scurf caused by the development of brown algae. The reason for its formation - the lack of light in the aquarium.As in any living pond, in our closed underwater world there are all kinds of microorganisms, bacteria and algae.
Imbalance leads to the rapid development of an organism. Brown plaque is eliminated by aligning the lighting to normal. Wash the walls, change a little water and add light - and everything is ready.
The problem with kelp is solved. Most often this happens because of their replacement with green algae, as with more highly organized ones.
The most famous school biology course is euglena green. This alga is the main cause of the greening of water. The plaque forms green algae already of other species - the filaments of edogonium and xenococcus.
These are the most common green algae, which overgrow the walls of the aquarium and stones on the ground. To deal with them is much more difficult, so consider all the ways.
- The main reason for the rapid development of green algae - excessive lighting. Avoid direct sunlight to the aquarium. The distance to the window should be at least 1.5 meters. Select artificial light lamps at a rate of 0.5 W / l for a duration of no more than 8 hours per day.At a higher pH in the aquarium, green algae also grow less intensively.
- Regular cleaning of the walls and partial replacement of water. Look after your underwater world and you will avoid many problems. Cleaning of the walls should be done with a soft sponge, cutting with a blade is an extreme measure. Scratches on the glass make it possible to remain particles of algae and continue to multiply. Water change should not be more than ¼ of the total volume.
- Biological cleaning method. This is the most desirable method. Many species of aquarium fish feed on algae. Virtually all viviparous - guppies, swordboys, pecilia and molly. Karasiki, goldfish, veils, telescopes also diversify their diet with greens. Experts say that the better the aquarium plants grow, the less the algae multiply. A great help in cleaning the walls and water will have a variety of snails. They eat the remnants of the remaining food, some filter the water through themselves, thus feeding on single-celled algae. Ampularia love to gnaw algae from the glass. But, as with everything, you need to respect the measure. Daphnids and Cyclops can quickly clear the entire volume, but they themselves are tasty prey for fish.
- Salt water.In this article we look at freshwater aquariums.The sea walls do not overgrow with green algae, their problems there. If acidification of water is impossible due to the content of certain types of fish, you can try salting the water, no more than 1 g / l. Salt will delay the development of green algae in water.
- Chemical method. Antibiotics are applicable in the fight against bacteria and lower algae, if the problem has gone too far and other methods do not help. It is possible to treat an aquarium with Riboflavin, Trypaflavinum, Rivanol (0.1 g per 100 l). But when using these substances, snails and some aquarium plants with delicate green leaves are affected. Kabomba and rogolnikom drop foliage immediately after the use of these drugs. Streptomycin and Penicillin are less stringent. Plants and fish will not be affected. The applied dose of Streptomycin - 0.3 mg / l for 48 hours, then the water should be replaced. The safest chemical to disinfect an aquarium is 3% hydrogen peroxide. Concentration from 2 to 6 mg / l with enhanced aeration. No water change is required.
Biological balance - a pledge of the purity of your aquarium
The easiest way to achieve a clean aquarium is to organize it right from the start.
In a properly organized aquarium, biological balance is established, and the water in it can not be changed for years.
A few tips on how to start a device aquarium.
- The greater the volume, the easier it is to establish a biocenosis in it. Aquariums from 10 liters are generally regarded as temporary - for jigging fish for the duration of sanitary work or for the time of spawning. The ideal aquarium is an aquarium of at least 100 liters. Only in such a water space life can self-organize.
- Population of the aquarium fish should be at the rate of 1 fish of an average size per 5 liters of water, preferably a little more liquid. Should take into account the planting. Plants absorb the waste products of fish and snails from water, saturate the water with oxygen by processing carbon dioxide in the process of photosynthesis. But at night, the plants themselves consume oxygen, and the process of photosynthesis stops at this time. Therefore, an overabundance of plants can play a cruel joke with an inexperienced aquarist, although this is rare. An excessive amount of snails can turn from a detachment of cleaners into a crowd of pollutants, it is necessary to thin out their population in a timely manner.
- Acquire fish, plants and snails preferably in specialized stores or from experienced breeders. The risk of infection from a natural reservoir is too great. This also applies to the infection of the aquarium by the euglene in the summer, when it multiplies intensively in ponds and lakes.
- Feeding fish should be very moderate. Dry food should be eaten in 10-15 minutes. Preference, of course, fresh live food. For most aquarium fish, it is not particularly difficult to post 3-4 days. If you are going to be absent at home, you should not pour food for the future.
- Illumination. You should install the aquarium so that it does not fall into direct sunlight, but the illumination was sufficient. A distance of 1.5 m from the window would be ideal. Solar lighting is best organized in the morning, and the duration of lighting 8-10 hours per day is sufficient. The lack of sunlight can be compensated by artificial lighting.
The steady biological balance in the aquarium is characterized by the transparency of the water and the natural greenery of the plants. The color of the correct water, if you dial a glass from the aquarium, is yellowish.This is the so-called Fish condition water.
The water became alive, the biocenosis was established. After about a week of operation of the indoor underwater world, this should happen. If not, you need to analyze the errors, but you should not panic. Nature is wise, you just do not interfere with it.