Flower pots: photos, views, tips on choosing
Home and outdoor plants give their beauty, clearing the air, improving mood and health. To make a green pet look good, you need to create the best conditions for your content. One of the most important stages is the selection of flower pots. About them and will be discussed in the publication. Will be considered types of pots and recommendations.
Pot and pots - the same thing?
Many believe that these are just different names for the same device. However, this is not true. Pots and pots are just similar in appearance, but they have different purposes. The former provide growth and development of the plant, and the latter are used for beauty.
The pot has holes for water flow and a tray in the kit. The cache-pot is executed in the form of integral ware and no additional capacity to it is provided. In fact, this is a beautiful container, into which old or nondescript containers are inserted a little smaller in volume. If the pot is large enough, then you can put a whole composition of small pots with flowers in it.
What are the types?
In general, experts decided to divide the flower pots into two broad categories.
- For outdoor use.
- For indoor use.
The first group can be attributed to containers that are made of durable materials, tolerate temperature differences and precipitation.
In general, the pots vary in size, shape, material, location, design and color. Next will be considered each of the species.
The most important criterion is the diameter and height of the dishes in which the plant will live. It would seem that everything is simple - the more capacity the better. But the reality is more complicated. Home plants feel bad in overly spacious pots. And some species generally prefer cramped conditions. For example, it is aglaonema, anthurium and spathiphyllum.
All roots must fit freely in the pot, taking into account that there will be approximately 2 centimeters of drainage at the bottom. The optimum height is the one that is equal to the third or fourth part of the total height of the green pet. From above and below the roots should not reach the capacity of about 2-3 centimeters. The same rules should be followed when choosing a container for seating adult items.
That is, too large flower pots, which will go to the growth, do not need to take.
Variety of materials
Today in the florist shops you can find a lot of pots. They are usually made of ceramic, plastic, glass and metal. Each material has its pros and cons.
- Ceramic pots. They are made from clay, which is considered an ideal material for planting plants. Due to its porous structure, it provides the flow of oxygen to the roots and the evaporation of excess moisture. They are also good because they come in various shapes and with a very beautiful design. The disadvantages include relatively large weight, fragility and high price.
- Plastic containers. They are literally inundated with all the shelves of florist shops. And all because buyers are attracted by low price, a variety of bright colors, shapes and sizes, as well as practicality and ease of care. Plastic models are very light, therefore unstable. Only earth in a flower pot gives them weight. Also to the downside is that the material does not have breathing properties. This complicates the evaporation of water and the flow of air, which is why roots can rot. But many do not face such a problem, noting that they make good drainage.
- Glass pots.They are not widely distributed, and this is not surprising. The glass is easy to break and does not allow air, as plastic. But because of the transparency of the walls, such pots are good for planting orchids and other flowers whose roots are directly involved in the process of photosynthesis.
- Metal containers. They have even more disadvantages than the previous version, so they practically do not occur in flower shops. Such dishes retain moisture, do not let the air, easily rust when in contact with water and is expensive. In defense of such pots, we can say that they are very decorative, because anything can be forged out of metal.
Each plant has its own root system. For example, in cacti, palms and citrus, it is rather long, goes deep into the soil. In begonias, geraniums and chrysanthemums, the roots are fibrous, branched, located at the soil surface. The flower pot must be chosen taking into account these peculiarities so that the plant develops normally. If the roots are long, it is better to take a narrow and high capacity. If they are fibrous, shallow and wide pots are more suitable. If the store does not have the perfect bowl, you can stay on the universal version. These are standard tanks, in which the diameter of the top coincides with the height.As a rule, most flowers feel good in them.
It is not recommended to buy models of futuristic and intricate forms. Of these, it is difficult to transplant the plant without harming the root system.
Hanging and floor pots
Depending on the location of the dislocation pots can be divided into mounted and floor. With the latter, everything is clear - they are simply placed on a flat surface (parquet, window sill, stands, shelves, and so on). The first are suspended models that can be mounted on the ceiling or near the wall. They are ideal for climbing plants that hang down. Some hanging options included pots are included.
Color and design
This criterion does not affect the growth of the plant. Therefore, you can take any favorite model. Today, you can find various options in flower pot shops.
When choosing, you should rely on the features of the interior. If it is strict and concise, it is better to buy vases without drawings. If the Provencal style prevails, then white, pink and purple containers with a semi-antique design will do. The interior of the premises, decorated in the style of hi-tech or modern, perfectly combined with bright models. Transparent, brown, milk and white flower pots are considered universal.
When choosing containers for climbing flowers should pay attention to the color of the walls. The flowers and the pot must be in harmony with it. Also, the capacity should be chosen so that the plant itself is not lost on its background. The pot only complements the green pet, and not vice versa.
Drain hole is a must!
At the bottom of the pot should be at least one hole through which excess water will flow. This should be considered when choosing a vessel. Otherwise, you will have to turn over the pot after each watering and drain the water. If this is not done, the roots may suffocate and the plant becomes sick. Also, this leads to an insufficient number of holes. This can signal brown, withered leaves, rot on the roots and crown. In such cases, the midges start to wind up in flower pots. How to get rid of them is another story.
Experienced florists believe that the health of the plant is optimal when there is one hole for every 10 square centimeters of the bottom. Its size must be at least 5-10 millimeters. If the holes are not enough or not at all, you will have to make them yourself.This is easy to do with the help of heated awls of a suitable size, drill, or other available tools.
We buy flower pots: general recommendations
Experienced growers with many years of experience, give beginners the following tips about choosing pots and pots.
- Capacity should not overshadow the beauty of the plant with its design forms and color.
- The pot must have drainage holes and a drain pan into which water will flow.
- Considered to be the best rounded pots that do not obstruct the transplant.
- Containers in which the top edges are bent inward should be avoided. Such a complex structure will be a great breeding ground for pests.
- If the container is ceramic, then you need to carefully look at its inner part. In a quality product, it is always covered with a special glaze.
- Of great importance is the height of the plant. The size of the pot should be equal to its third or fourth part. If the flower has a wide crown, then the capacity should be appropriate.
- For transplantation, you need to take a vessel that is 2-3 centimeters more in height and width than the previous one.
- Some florists do not recommend spending money on flower pots, if you want to multiply the flower by children.For this purpose ordinary small plastic cups will fit. Plants feel comfortable in them if you make several holes at the bottom with a thick needle.
So, pots for plants vary in size, shape, material, location, design and color. The choice depends on the characteristics of the plant, finances and personal taste preferences.