Details from the shooting of the film "The Hound of the Baskervilles"
One of the most famous and exciting stories from the Soviet film epic about the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson - the film "The Hound of the Baskervilles" - turned 36 years old in January. On the shooting of this legendary film directed by Igor Maslennikov this story.
The role of the dog tried calf
The main highlight of the film "The Hound of the Baskervilles" was the same mysterious dog that terrifies the heroes of the band and the audience. Remove the tailed artist was the most difficult task.
- In the selection for this role it was impossible to make a mistake - only the appearance of a real monster in the frame would explain the fear and horror of the inhabitants of Baskerville Hall, - said Victor Okovity, the artist of the combined shooting. - Four-legged applicants saw a few. They tried to find a type through trial and error - no one knew exactly how the dog should look like in the end. We tried dogs of different breeds, even offered Pekingese with a cat's eye scratched, while the second eye looked very crazy.We filmed several duplicates with him, but we were not satisfied with the result. They invented shooting in the role of the Baskervilles CALF dog, but quickly abandoned this idea. Then there was the option with the DOG. He was covered with reflective tape, which is glued to traffic signs. They put a dog's skeleton on an animal and began to take pictures on black velvet. We looked at the captured pieces and burst out laughing - it turned out just a “running skeleton”.
After watching the movie, director Maslennikov said that there was only one way out - to make the dog a mask.
- At first we thought to paint the whole dog with phosphorus, as written by Conan Doyle. They told cynologists about this, and they clutched at his head, they say, this would spoil the dog’s nose, not one owner would allow him to paint his animal with chemistry, the director recalls. “She immediately all this phosphorus is licking herself ...”
- And since the idea with a reflective tape was mine, I was instructed to muzzle the dog, - says the artist Okovity. - On black velvet I pasted light scotch. With this on the head and the dog ran in the frame. And instead of phosphorus, we prepared a special foamed mixture of laundry detergent and a reflective coating scraped off with adhesive tape.I put this mixture on a dog mask.
With the shooting, we have suffered pretty. Wearing a reflective mask on mastiffs, it was necessary to both take it off and direct the light at it. Behind the cameras put special spotlights. Prepared to record. But we did not take into account one thing: a dog will never run into a bright light. Animals do not run to the fire at all - it is a law of nature. Shooting again canceled. We shot this shot six times!
They made a terrible Baskervilles dog out of a friendly mastiff ...
I could not have imagined that it was so difficult to work with animals on the set. It would seem that a simple episode - a bullet hits the dog. But the dog needs, as an artist, to “play” the hit of a bullet fired from Lestrade's revolver. It was necessary to show the aggressive reaction of the dog, but by nature it turned out to be very peaceful. Maslennikov suggested: they say, let's make a tin of tin wire and shoot at the dog so that it will start. The acting assistant Natasha Yashpan, an intelligent woman, shamed the director, saying that you are from St. Petersburg, how can you hurt your dog ?!
Maslennikov, to prove that the bullets only excited the animal a little and no more, offered to shoot him in the leg.Pyrotechnician shot and hit Maslennikov in ... a little higher than his hips ... well, you know ... We hear the director's cry! Igor Fyodorovich grabbed the soft spot, yelling loudly! In general, the reaction was the same, and everyone understood that it was impossible to shoot a dog !!! Then they invented such a move: they put plywood under the dog and sharply pulled it out, so that the dog stumbled. But he turned out to be cunning - sensing a dirty trick, running up to the plywood, jumped over it ... I had to shoot more than seven duplicates, while the languishing dog, tired of jumping, began to stumble.
By the way, in the last scene, the actor Nikita Mikhalkov was afraid to be filmed next to the mastiff, so the dog and Mikhalkov were filmed separately, and then the shots were combined ...
The group remembers that the dog on the set got to the full, but she bravely endured everything and became the favorite of the group. According to actor Vasily Livanov, the dog turned out to be an amazing sweet tooth - the cake brought on Solomin's birthday, she ate together with the box, leaving no crumbs.
“They used to conjure the Baskervilles for a long time,” says the sound engineer, Asya Zverev. - It is difficult today to restore the "recipe".They used the voices of a lion, a bear, dogs, all this stretched. The work turned out to be so complicated that it had to be done in Moscow - there was no good equipment in Leningrad at that time.
Mikhalkov arrived not alone
According to the director, the role of Nikita Mikhalkov, Sir Henry, was first tried by actor Nikolai Gubenko. He persuaded him for a long time, but he refused at the last moment.
Mikhalkov at this time was finishing the film “Kin”, in which Svetlana Kryuchkova starred in the film “The Hound of the Baskervilles”. She and her husband (cameraman Yury Veksler) had the idea to invite Mikhalkov to play the role of Sir Henry.
Mikhalkov, to everyone's surprise, arrived at the Lenfilm studio not alone, but with his friend - screenwriter, artist, actor and director Alexander Adabashyan, moreover 12 days before the shooting itself began. All 12 days, friends walked around Lenfilm, chuckling, discussing something. The shooting began, and the artists looked at the director with irony. So much so that Mikhalkov began to command on the set.
In order to “neutralize” this “gop company”, it was necessary to find Adabashyan's occupation.And then the director got the idea: “Let him play Barrymore!” This role remained vacant. So Adabashyan became a man subordinate to the director at the venue, and he had no time to discuss with Mikhalkov whether the director was shooting the film correctly.
Spouses Barrymore played Alexander Adabashyan and Svetlana Kryuchkova.
As a result, the melancholic Adabashyan in the film became a kind of shock absorber, a counterweight to the temperamental Mikhalkov. Their couple organically fit into the whole story. Alexander Adabashyan, who played Barrymore, with a feeling of putting oatmeal in the film, admitted that he himself eats this wonderful porridge every morning, and considers his role in the film as stellar. The famous phrase "Porridge, sir!" Became his calling card.
- I haven’t told anyone yet about this: it turned out that I came to the tests in this film with ... a huge big eye under my eye. Got into a fight With whom - I will not say. But I had a classic look ... Of course, in the group they were amazed, they looked at me with meaning, but they took it. During filming, I did not fight anymore, but was completely immersed in work. In the story we needed to create a contrast between old England and the new wild America.Sir Henry (Nikita Mikhalkov) comes from America and falls into a completely different habitat. In order to show this, they invented an outfit for him - a wolf coat, meat and wine on the table and, as a contrast, traditional English porridge. It turned out pretty funny ...
Porridge, which was specially prepared for the movie by an assistant in props, was so tasty that at the end of the filming they brought another saucepan to the film crew at the pavilion. At the same time, in the breaks between the shootings, guards were put in front of the saucepan to keep them from eating ahead of time!
To make it more fun to play, we, the actors, invented various tricks along the way. For example, I played in a pair with Solomin and suggested that he add pepper to the relationship between our heroes: there is such an internal conflict between Barrymore and Watson - the doctor suspects the butler, who in turn doesn’t give him any oatmeal. Such a “confrontation” of the characters was not in the script, it is completely our notion.
- They say you and your partners drank heavily at the shooting?
- We drank not during the shooting, but after. In the frame were all sober. When they returned from filming, they hummed on the train so that the passengers clearly did not sleep that night.
“Nikita Mikhalkov, Adabashyan, Vasya Livanov, used to be mortgaged with what the director was driven out of themselves,” admitted the artist of Blended filming. - But in general, the shooting went in a very fun family atmosphere. That's why the movie turned out.
The director was told that Mikhalkov allegedly was “coaxing” a bottle of brandy for a shift and was not eating anything. And during the filming, he was just irrepressible. Once he drove the horse to such an extent that she had a faint: she lay with her eyes closed, she did not breathe ... Someone decided that everything was not a tenant. But Nikita could bring her to her senses.
Vitaly Solomin, who plays the role of Dr. Watson, who literally works without closing his eyes, did not spare himself. In the Maly Drama Theater in Moscow, where he played, at that time a performance was being prepared for the next party congress. Rehearsals were held daily and with iron turnout. In the "Dog" shooting was also every day. Solomin spent a week on the train, riding from Moscow to Leningrad and back. I never slept normally a week. Encouraging himself, every morning he stood in front of the mirror and said: “Wake up, talent!”
Devonshire County, in which the events of the novel The Hound of the Baskervilles unfold,In the film Maslennikov replaced Estonian landscapes. Swamp Kuistlemma perfectly played the role of the famous peat swamps of Dartmoor. Baskerville Hall was filmed in Tallinn, and two buildings served in kind. In the episode where Dr. Mortimer performed by Evgeny Steblova tells the legend of the Baskervilles, Glen Castle appears. It was here that the captive Hugo Baskerville went down the ivy from the window of the castle tower. Baskerville Hall of the XIX century played the castle of Count A.V. Orlova-Davydov. Now it houses the Museum of Estonian History.
“We just drove by, somewhere there stood a little house on the hill,” recalls Arkady Tigay, the second director. - Suddenly Maslennikov howled: “Stop, stop! Here it is! ”We drove upstairs - the English house is real. Around the lawn. It was a perfect hit.
Honored artists (Solomin, Livanov, Mikhalkov, Yankovsky) received 50 rubles. per shift (about 15,000 rubles. in terms of today's money). For comparison: now the fee for top actors is about 600,000 rubles. in a day.
The remaining artists received 30-40 rubles. per day (about 9000 - 12 000 rubles for our money). Mass - 3 rub. per day (about 900 rubles for our money).
Actress Svetlana Kryuchkova, playing Mrs. Barrymore, was pregnant during the shooting. As she claimed, reading the script, was horrified:
- I read my role and realized that I would be left without a child. My heroine is constantly crying! And her text is so terrible - about a convict, about a brother. It was necessary to quickly change something. And I went in a paradoxical way. I began, speaking this text, smile. And get the solution image. “So, Selden's killer is your brother?” I say, “Yes, sir!” - and I smile. And I begin to tell the story, part of which was invented by Adabashyan: “It was a real angel, he just got into a bad company ...” - it was all written and improvised. And also that story about the boy Henry, who loves oatmeal ...
Once Mikhalkov and Kryuchkova podkololi Solomin.
- Vitaly Solomin was very jealous of the fact that someone else was photographed close-up, but not him, - told Kryuchkova. “They were shooting a scene in the tower when Barrymore signs my brother, and I rush in to protect him.” A candlestick was in Solomin’s hands, and he kept turning his back to the operator all the time. Mikhalkov came up and said in my ear: “You do not argue with Solomin during the rehearsal, obey, but there will be a shooting, so come in and take this shandal from his hands”. I did so.Solomin was confused, asked: "So, Selden's killer is your brother?" I turned on Solomin, that is, with my back to the operator, and then suddenly turned to Mikhalkov, who is the owner, answered: "Yes, sir" - and said her monologue on the big plan.
Yevgeny Steblov in the evening of one day had to catch a train. Everyone hurried and worked with shouts: “Rather, Steblov is late!” Having filmed the scene of the fatal escape of Cocker Spaniel Snoopy, the group turned off the equipment, plunged into the car ... and drove away.
8 lessons of the Buddha, which will be useful to everyone. The wisdom accumulated over the centuries